The flying season’s unofficial kick-off is next week, as the gates open for the 2014 edition of the Sun ‘n Fun Fly-in at the Lakeland airport. There will be new products to see and spectacular airshows, but for iPad pilots there will also be a number of opportunities to learn.
Among the dozens of seminars covering the iPad, here are some to note:
- iPad 101. If you’re considering an iPad or just getting started, this fast-paced seminar is for you. Includes tips on buying the right iPad, downloading apps, legal considerations and aviation app reviews. You’ll leave with the confidence to start flying with the iPad in the system. Thursday at 9am in Room 1.
- Advanced iPad Flying. If you already have an iPad and know your way around your favorite app, this seminar goes beyond the basics. Learn pro tips to get more out of your iPad, get suggestions for using high tech iPad accessories and learn some hidden tricks for ForeFlight Mobile. Thursday at 10am in Room 1.
- ADS-B on your iPad. This no-nonsense seminar demystifies the world of ADS-B. What do the terms mean, why is it important and how can you use ADS-B to get free weather on your iPad? These questions and more will be covered. Friday at 9am in Room 1.
- iPad Trends and Flying with ForeFlight Mobile. ForeFlight co-founder Jason Miller presents the state of the iPad app industry and offers tips for becoming a power user with aviation’s top app. Tuesday at 9am in Room 1; Thursday at 1pm in Room 2; Friday at 1pm in Room 4.
- Garmin Pilot: using the iPad to plan, file, fly. This interactive seminar from Garmin introduces their iPad app, explains the features of it and offers some shortcuts for safer flying. Every day at 10am in tent N11 (between Hangar D and the Flight Line).
All seminars except the Garmin one will take place at the Central Florida Aerospace Academy. The full seminar schedule is available here.