If there were any doubt about the iPad’s popularity among pilots, a look at the forum schedule for EAA Airventure Oshkosh 2013 should make it clear. EAA’s list shows over 30 seminars on iPad apps, accessories and tips.
Here are some highlights:
- Sporty’s Flying with the iPad. A crash course on the iPad for pilots. Learn which model iPad to buy, pre-flight tips, which apps to use, advanced user tips, accessory options and much more. Tuesday, July 30 at 11:30am in Forum Pavilion 7.
- Sporty’s ADS-B and the iPad. The hottest iPad accessory right now is the portable ADS-B receiver, and this seminar explains it all: what is ADS-B, how does it work, what are the limitations and what devices are on the market? Includes a demo of Stratus, the ADS-B receiver made for ForeFlight. Friday, August 2 at 2:30pm in Forum Pavilion 1.
- ForeFlight iPad Proficiency Seminars. Jason Miller, co-founder of leading app developer ForeFlight, will present four editions of his popular seminar at Oshkosh. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday at 4:00pm; Saturday at 10:00am. All four are in Forum Pavilion 4.
- Garmin Seminars. Garmin has their own seminar tent at Oshkosh, so they are hosting a slew of forums on a variety of topics. Of particular interest for iPad pilots are the daily ADS-B Academy and Garmin Pilot seminars. ADS-B seminar runs every day at 10:00am; Garmin Pilot seminar runs every day at 12:30pm; at the Garmin tent.
- MossY’s iPad Gotchas. Dynamic flight instructor Robert Moss (aka, “MossY”) is presenting two of his iPad Pros: IFR Gotchas seminars, which covers advanced tips and legal considerations. Monday and Wednesday at 11:30am in the Hilton Theather.
- MyGoFlight iPad Takes Flight. iPad accessory developer MyGoFlight.com is offering three of its iPad Takes Flight seminars, focusing on how to get started with the iPad and avoid common mistakes. Monday and Wednesday at 1:00pm; Friday at 10:00am. All three are in Forum Pavilion 6.
The full list of iPad seminars is available on the Airventure website.
Sporty’s will also be hosting a seminar on Monday at 1:00pm, in Forum Pavilion 8 on Flying with GoPro cameras. This will cover how to use small HD cameras to record lessons and memorable flights from the cockpit, including tips on choosing the right camera, shooting better videos and editing. You’ll even learn how to use the iPad as a wireless viewfinder for the HD cameras.
For more information, download the free AirVenture 2013 mobile apps for iOS, Android and Kindle Fire.