iPad seminars have become a fixture at EAA’s annual Oshkosh fly-in, with dozens of presenters covering topics from the basics to advanced app features and the latest iPad accessories. The 2014 edition of AirVenture is no different, with almost too many iPad seminars to count.
Here are some highlights:
- Sporty’s iPad 101. A crash course on the iPad for pilots. Learn which model iPad to buy, pre-flight tips, which apps to use, accessory options and much more. If you’re just getting started or want to brush up on the fundamentals, this is an essential seminar. Saturday, August 2 at 11:30am in Forum Pavilion 11.
- Sporty’s Advanced iPad Flying. Already know the basics? This fast-paced seminar explores advanced iPad tricks, the latest ADS-B and AHRS accessories, a legal briefing and detailed ForeFlight Mobile tips. Tuesday, July 29 at 8:30am in Forum Pavilion 7 and again Thursday, July 31 at 2pm in the AOPA Tent on the flight line.
- Sporty’s ADS-B and the iPad. The hottest iPad accessory right now is the portable ADS-B receiver, and this seminar explains it all: what ADS-B really means, how it works, what the limitations are and what devices are on the market. If you’re flying with a Stratus, GDL 39 or Dual XGPS170 – or thinking about it – this seminar is for you. Thursday, July 31 at 1pm in Forum Pavilion 8.
- ForeFlight iPad Proficiency Seminars. These popular sessions, from leading app developer ForeFlight, will be presented four times during Oshkosh. Covers updates on the latest features in ForeFlight Mobile and Stratus, plus real world flying scenarios with the app. Monday at 11:30am in Forum Pavilion 8, Thursday at 11:30am in Forum Pavilion 5, Friday at 1pm in Forum Pavilion 11 and Saturday at 8:30am in Forum Pavilion 9.
- Garmin Seminars. Garmin has their own seminar tent at Oshkosh, so they are hosting a slew of forums on a variety of topics. Of particular interest for iPad pilots are the daily iPad and Android seminars. Garmin Pilot introduction seminar runs every day at 11:00am; advanced Garmin Pilot seminar runs every day at 1:30pm; at the Garmin tent.
- MossY’s iPad Real World IFR. Dynamic flight instructor Robert Moss (aka, “MossY”) is presenting a seminar focusing on IFR topics, with a variety of tips from professional pilots and NASA ASRS reports. Monday at 1:00pm in Forum Pavilion 9.
- MyGoFlight iPad Takes Flight. iPad accessory developer MyGoFlight.com is offering three of its iPad Takes Flight seminars, focusing on how to get started with the iPad and avoid common mistakes. Monday and Wednesday at 1pm and Friday at 10am. All three are in Forum Pavilion 6.
The full list of iPad seminars is available on the Airventure website.
For more information, download the free AirVenture 2014 mobile apps for iOS, Android and Kindle Fire.