The world’s largest airshow starts next week in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, with over 10,000 airplanes descending on Wittman Airport for a week of flying demonstrations, new product announcements and plenty of hands-on learning. For a pilot looking to get started with the iPad, or for an old pro interested in learning a few tips, there is no better place to be. There are dozens of forums covering apps, tablet accessories and much more. Here are some highlights:
- Sporty’s 10 Things Every iPad Pilot Should Know. With a good mix of beginner and advanced tips, this fast-moving seminar covers a lot of ground. From legal considerations and iPad battery best practices to advanced ForeFlight features and some cool apps you may not know, there’s something for everyone here. Wednesday, July 22 at 2:30 pm in Forum Pavilion 8, and Friday, July 24 at 1 pm in the AOPA Activity Tent.
- Sporty’s Pilot’s Guide to ADS-B. Between the looming 2020 FAA mandate for ADS-B Out and the variety of popular ADS-B receivers for the iPad, interest in ADS-B has never been higher. This information-packed seminar explains it all: what ADS-B really means, how it works, what the limitations are and what devices are on the market – both panel-mount and portable. If you’re flying with a Stratus, GDL 39 or Dual XGPS170 – or thinking about it – this seminar is for you. Thursday, July 23 at 11:30 am in Forum Pavilion 8.
- ForeFlight 101 and 201. New for 2015, ForeFlight is offering two seminars: ForeFlight 101 and 201. The beginner session covers the essentials of the app, how to get started and best practices for flying paperless. The advanced session includes updates on the latest features in ForeFlight Mobile and Stratus, sophisticated IFR planning tools, plus real world flying scenarios. ForeFlight 101 is offered Tuesday, July 21 and Thursday, July 23 at 10 am. ForeFlight 201 is offered Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 11:30 am. All ForeFlight seminars are held in Forum Pavilion 8.
- Garmin Pilot Seminars. Garmin has expanded their Oshkosh presence with two of their own seminar tents, so they are hosting a slew of forums on a variety of topics. Of particular interest for iPad pilots are the daily seminars on Garmin Pilot. Garmin Pilot introduction seminar runs every day at 11:00am in Garmin Tent 1; advanced Garmin Pilot seminar runs every day at 2:00pm in Garmin Tent 2.
- WingX Pro 7 Training. Learn from another of aviation’s top app developers, Hilton Software, in this in depth training session. Learn what’s new in WingX and how to use advanced features like synthetic vision and IAP routing. Wednesday, July 22 at 1pm in Forum Pavilion 5.
- Gary Reeves’s “10 iPad FAA Violations.” Active flight instructor and iPad pro Gary Reeves goes through some of the traps technology can present in this thought-provoking presentation. Wednesday, July 22 at 5 pm in Forum Pavilion 8.
- MyGoFlight iPad Takes Flight. iPad accessory developer MyGoFlight.com is offering three of its iPad Takes Flight seminars, focusing on how to get started with the iPad and avoid common mistakes. Monday, July 20 at 1 pm in Forum Pavilion 6 and Friday, July 24 at 1pm in Aviation Gateway Park.
The full list of iPad seminars is available on the Airventure website.
For more information, download the free AirVenture 2015 mobile apps for iOS, Android and Kindle Fire.