WingX Pro released its first major update for 2014 with the introduction of version 8.0, available for download now in the app store. In addition to the Pebble Smartwatch support we covered last week, this update adds a collection of new features that IFR pilots will especially appreciate. To access some of these new features you’ll need to make sure you have the upgraded WingX subscription, which is now called Advanced IFR subscription and replaces what used to be called the Georef Subscription. It’s just a name change, so if you currently have the Georef subscription you’ll automatically get the new features. Here’s a quick look at what’s new:
- Instrument Approach Chart routing: select an instrument approach and initial approach fix and WingX adds all the fixes to your route.
- Departure and Arrival procedure routing: you can now quickly add DPs and STARs to your route, including all the waypoints and transitions.
- Moving map route colors: DPs are green, the en route segment is magenta, the STARs are blue, and the IAP route is red.
- Support for the Pebble Smartwatch: view your next waypoint and destination information such as ETE, ETA, DTK, NM on your watch.
- User-Documents: display them in WingX Pro7’s split screen (or full screen) — for example, a sectional on the left and the POH’s checklist on the right.
- Performance improvements: expect better performance on the moving map and updates throughout the app for iOS 7 styling.
- New “Split” button on map: alternates between full Route column, full A/FD Column, or 50/50 of each (as before).
You can download a 30-day trial of WingX Pro for $0.99 in the app store, and annual subscriptions start at $99.99.