Garmin released an update to its Garmin Pilot iOS app yesterday, adding several highly requested features:
- TFRs over ADS-B – Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs) are now included in the subscription free in-flight weather offering available from the GDL 39 portable ADS-B receiver and Garmin Pilot. This supplements this existing weather products, including NEXRAD imagery, METARs, TAFs, winds and temperatures aloft, PIREPs, NOTAMs and datalink traffic.
- Split Screen Trafic – Traffic data from the GDL 39 is now available in a split screen format allowing you to view charted routes and traffic simultaneously. Simply pair the GDL 39 with Garmin Pilot and select ‘Menu’ -> ‘Split Screen’ -> ‘Traffic’.
- GPS from the GDL 39 – Garmin Pilot now takes advantage of the highly accurate WAAS GPS of the GDL 39. This provides Garmin Pilot with the precision of Garmin’s aviation-grade navigation devices, updating at a rate of up to 5 times per second.
- Scratch Pad – Garmin Pilot now includes a full screen scratch pad. Use it to write down your clearance or jot down notes from your flight. The scratch pad is available from the ‘Home’ Menu.
- iPhone 5 support – this update allows the Garmin Pilot to run full size on the larger iPhone 5 screen in portrait or landscape orientations.
The Garmin Pilot app is a free download and includes a 30-day trial. Garmin is currently running a special, allowing you to purchase an annual subscription for $49.99 (regular subscription price is $99.99). Learn more about the app and download here: Garmin Pilot App for iPad/iPhone.