ForeFlight improves the Aeronautical Map in latest update

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
3 min read

Many pilots choose ForeFlight’s Aeronautical Map as the default map since it offers a detailed and scalable navigation resource that is in many ways superior to the traditional VFR Sectional or IFR en route chart. It can be customized to show exactly what matters to you and is easily readable from the widest to the narrowest zoom level.

In the latest update to the app, ForeFlight improved the method of customizing the map with a new feature called the Aeronautical Map Drawer. The update also adds new Airspace settings, a display of powerlines, a basic navlog template, and an update when using Sentry ADS-B receivers.

Aeronautical Map Drawer

ForeFlight’s Aeronautical Map has evolved over the years from a basic map to a full-featured data-driven VFR and IFR navigation display. This comprehensive data set also added complexity in the form of 30+ customization options, previously adjusted from the Map Settings button (the “gear” button at the top of the screen). To make things more manageable, ForeFlight added several frequently used toggles, like airports, navigation aids and roads, as quick toggles on the side of the screen. The downside of this was that they gobbled up valuable screen real estate.

ForeFlight improved how the map configuration works in this update with the introduction of the Aeronautical Map Drawer. First, you’ll see a new settings button in the lower left corner. Tap this to display the new “drawer” which will display the familiar column of quick-access toggles:

When the drawer is displayed, you’ll see a small circular timer at the top left of the screen. After ten seconds of inactivity or when tapping the map, the drawer will automatically hide:

To customize the map further, press the 3-dot button at the lower left of the drawer to display the full list of settings. These represent most of the same settings previously accessed from the “gear” button at the top of the map screen.

Three new buttons at the bottom of the drawer allow you to quickly change the map to display visual elements relevant to IFR and VFR flying. Any changes made to the toggles or settings are specific to the currently selected Aeronautical Mode, enabling you to configure each mode independently and switch between them seamlessly.

Airspace Settings

Along with the redesign of the Aeronautical Maps settings, ForeFlight improved the organization of the airspace settings. The Class E option was moved in the Controlled Airspace group, and a new Special Use Airspace group includes more granular control of each type of airspace:

There’s also a new option to display power lines on the Aeronautical Map from the Cultural Elements group of the new Map Settings:

Sentry Cellular Data Pass-Through

Until recently, pilots flying with a cellular-enabled iPad and Sentry lost LTE/5G  internet connection on the ground as soon as the iPad was connected to Sentry’s WiFi signal. The latest update addresses that, allowing the iPad to access the internet via the cellular connection still and connect to Sentry simultaneously. This can be useful on the ground when setting up the cockpit if you need to retrieve updated weather online or amend a flight plan.

Basic Navlog Template

After creating a trip in the Flights section of the app and pressing the Navlog button at the top, you can view a cleaner version of the Navlog tailor-made for VFR pilots. When viewing the standard Navlog, tap the gear button at the top right of the screen and select the Basic option. This navlog offers improved print quality, which is particularly noticeable when utilizing half-sheet printing, making it a convenient and user-friendly option for pilots.


1 reply
  1. Steve White
    Steve White says:

    Regrettably this update removed the option to choose “VFR Aeronautical Details”, so VFR checkpoints are always shown if you choose the VFR option from the drawer. In my airspace, roughly 10% of those are used by ATC and the other 90% only clutter things in the already cluttered display. I hope the next revision makes them optional again, as I’m sure they will be useful at times – just not all the time.

Comments are closed.