Today, pilots are flying with portable supercomputers, datalink weather receivers, and maybe even satellite communicators. To track these trends in electronic flight bags, we published over 100 articles this year, many in response to reader questions. Here were the ten most popular in 2023.
10. Pilot’s guide to iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 Learn about many of the new features included in iOS 17, which was released back in September, which included roadside assistance via satellite, a customizable lock screen for iPad, iPad live activities, and much more.
9. iOS screen gestures: how to navigate your iPad faster You can do almost everything on your iPad without touching a button, like closing an app, switching apps, opening the control center, or searching for something, iOS has multiple gestures that can save time or unlock additional features. Here’s a look at all the options, starting with the gestures you’ll need to know when using a newer iPad without a home button.
8. ForeFlight releases new aviation app for Apple Watch ForeFlight released a new aviation app for Apple Watch in 2023 and it’s included for all current ForeFlight subscribers. Here’s a quick look at how to use it and why it’s a must-have for ForeFlight pilots.
7. Top 20 apps for pilots—2023 edition There are thousands of apps that are useful for pilots, from flight training and weather briefings to calculators and games. Here are the top 20 we see used most often, and are worth considering for any pilot’s tablet.
6. Top Apple Watch features and apps for pilots There are a lot of aviation apps out there that allow you to access useful aviation and weather data from your wrist. Here, we’ll look at the top weather and aviation apps for the Apple Watch, along with how to take advantage of some of the standard Apple Watch features on your next flight.
5. What’s the best iPad for pilots—2023 edition The original Apple iPad was released more than 13 years ago on April 3, 2010. Since then, Apple has continuously improved the tablet, making upgrades to its storage capacity, screen resolution, processor, connectivity options, and form factor. Here, we’ll break down the differences in each and give some insight for those looking to buy a used or refurbished iPad, which is a great way to save money.
4. ForeFlight adds new ADS-B traffic safety features There has been an increase in visibility on the near misses and runway incursions at airports in the first half of 2023. Take a look at several important traffic features added to ForeFlight earlier this year, including aircraft on runway alerts.
3. Charging your iPad—it’s all about the watts This article explains how the latest technology works, including a review of Electricity 101, and a review of the best charging accessories for pilots to use both at home and in the air.
2. How to free up storage space on your iPad It has happened to almost every pilot: you’re excited to download that new app or it’s time to download charts for your big cross country, but you get the dreaded “iPad Storage Full” message. Here’s how to free up space by optimizing your iPad settings and deleting unused apps and media.
1. How to improve your iPad’s battery life One of the most under-appreciated features of the iPad is its fantastic battery life, which lasts from 4 to 6 hours when using it for navigation in flight. This article takes a look at a number of things you can do to improve the performance of your iPad battery and keep it in top working condition.