Apple recently released iOS 12.3.1, a minor update to iOS 12.3 which primarily focuses on a redesigned TV app for iPhone and iPad. It also includes support for AirPlay 2 on compatible TVs, allowing you to AirPlay content from your device to newer TVs from LG, Samsung and Vizio. As with any iOS release, we recommend holding off on updating until your app or accessory developer has had time to fully test compatibility with the new software.
View the previous iOS 12.2 green light status here.
iOS 12.3 includes support for AirPlay 2-enabled TVs and features a redesigned Apple TV app. This update also includes bug fixes and improvements.
– AirPlay 2 now supports sharing videos, photos, music and more from your iPhone and iPad directly to your AirPlay 2-enabled smart TV
– One tap playback automatically plays your chosen TV show or movie on the last screen you used based on time and location
– Siri Suggestions to watch movies and TV shows now include an option to AirPlay
– Intelligent suggestions are all done on-device so your personal information stays private
Apple TV app
– The Apple TV app features an all new design that highlights expertly curated collections and personalized recommendations
– Apple TV channels offer subscriptions to HBO, Showtime, Starz, and more, available to watch directly in the Apple TV app, online or off
– Subscriptions to Apple TV channels can be shared with up to six family members, with no new apps, accounts, or passwords needed
– New release movies are available to buy or rent in the Apple TV app, including the full catalog of 100,000+ movies and the largest selection of 4K HDR titles
– A new dedicated kids section helps you discover editorially-handpicked shows and movies safe for kids of all ages
– The Apple TV app can now intelligently suggest playing to the most likely Apple TVs or AirPlay 2-enabled TVs nearby
This update also includes bug fixes and improvements. This update:
– Adds the ability to follow a magazine from the Apple News+ catalog browsing view
– Apple Music’s For You tab now updates multiple times a day suggesting music based on themes like genres, artists, and moods you love
– Fixes an issue that could prevent Apple TV Remote from pausing video, controlling video, or changing volume on supported receivers
– Addresses an issue that could cause calls made using Wi-Fi calling to drop
– Fixes an issue where song information from a connected iPhone may not appear in a car’s display