A large number of iPads were delivered to pilots this holiday season, and many will be using this popular tablet in the cockpit for the first time. Fortunately one of the big selling points of the iPad is its ease of use, meaning most pilots will be able to jump right in and start using the iPad as an Electronic Flight Bag (EFB) with minimal training.
Over the past year we have written hundreds of articles here at iPad Pilot News on iPad tips for pilots, app and accessory reviews, the latest news and of course the famous iPad app debates. As active general aviation pilots and flight instructors, we hear pilots ask all the time things like “which app should I use,” or “is it legal” and “where should I mount the iPad in my airplane.” So to make things easier, we’ve collected our most popular educational articles and videos designed to help get pilots off to the right start with the iPad in the cockpit.
Flying with the iPad Seminar Video
The best way for any new iPad pilot to start out is by watching the Flying with the iPad seminar video. This 50 minute presentation covers a lit bit of everything, including iPad 101, preflight tips, EFB regulations and advisory circulars, apps, accessories, tips and tricks. We’ll point out that this was recorded before the iPad Mini was announced; check out this post for more information on flying with the iPad Mini.
- Top 10 Aviation Apps
- ForeFlight 101: getting started with aviation’s top app
- A Look at the Garmin Pilot app & its new features
- Tips for using WingX Pro
- Navigation App Showdown: Comparing ForeFlight, Garmin Pilot & WingX Pro
Practical Operating Tips
- How to Preflight the iPad
- How to Configure iPad Wireless Settings During Pre-flight
- iPad Power Management
- iPad Legal Briefing for Pilots
GPS & ADS-B Accessories
- Sporty’s Introduces Stratus ADS-B Weather Receiver for ForeFlight
- Pilot Report-Flying with the Garmin GDL 39 ADS-B Receiver
- Dual XGPS170 ADS-B Receiver
- Garmin Introduces GLO wireless GPS for iPad & Android
- Next-Generation Bad Elf GPS Now Available
Securing the iPad in the Cockpit
- Where should I mount my iPad in the cockpit?
- New iPad-Ready Flight Bags and Kneeboards now available
Is there an iPad topic that we have not covered and you’d like to know more about? Post a comment below or send us an email at iPad@sportys.com.